What happens if I am on strike?

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version
Strike signIf you are absent for a day or more due to a trade dispute the period will not count for pension purposes unless you elect to pay Additional Pension Contributions (APCs) to purchase the amount of pension 'lost' during that period of absence.
The amount of pension lost is calculated as the appropriate fraction of your assumed pensionable pay for that period of absence (i.e. 1/49th of your assumed pensionable pay if you were in the main section of the Scheme or 1/98th if you were in the 50/50 section).
The cost of purchasing the amount of lost pension for the period of absence would be met fully by you; your employer does not make a contribution to the APC.
If you have membership of the LGPS before 1 April 2014, you will have built up benefits in the final salary scheme.
If you choose to pay for the lost pension in the Scheme the amount you pay will go towards covering the protections associated with the pre 1 April 2014 membership. To find out more, please see the section If you joined the LGPS before 1 April 2014.

How do I buy 'lost' pension?

If you wish to buy pension lost during a trade dispute, please contact your employer for a quotation of the cost of paying Additional Pension Contributions for the period(s) of absence in question.