2016 Deferred Members' Annual Benefit Statement - Explanatory Notes if you left the LGPS before 1 April 2014
- Surviving Spouse’s/Registered Civil Partner’s pensions are usually based on all membership, but may be less if you have married/entered into a Registered Civil Partnership since you left the Scheme.
- Widowers’ pensions are based on different periods of membership, depending on when you left the Scheme. If you left the Scheme before 1 April 1998, a widower’s pension would be based on membership from 6 April 1988 only. If you left the Scheme between 1 April 1998 and 31 March 2008, a widower’s pension would be based on membership from 1 April 1972. If you left the Scheme after 31 March 2008, a widower’s pension would be based on all membership. If you married since leaving the Scheme, the widower’s pension may be less.
- A Survivor’s pension, based on membership after 5 April 1988, may be payable to your Registered Civil Partner, if you left the Scheme before 1 April 2008, or based on all membership if you left after 31 March 2008.
- A Survivor’s pension may also be payable to a Cohabiting Partner, based on membership after 5 April 1988, provided your ‘Date left pensionable employment’ was on or after 1 April 2008. As you left before 1 April 2014, for this benefit to be payable you must complete a Survivor’s Pension (Cohabiting Partner) notification.
Irrespective of your length of membership, children’s pensions are payable automatically on the death of a member, usually until age 18, or 23 if in full-time education, or for life where the child is disabled within the meaning of the Equality Act 2010.
- notify the administering authority of the Fund in which you are an active member that you have a deferred benefit with Merseyside Pension Fund,
- notify Merseyside Pension Fund that you are an active member in another LGPS Fund in England or Wales, and
- notify the administering authority of the Fund in which you are an active member of any intervening membership in any other public service pension scheme (even if you have received a refund of contributions in respect of that membership).